When I was younger one of the best things about the summer was enjoying an ice cold popsicle on sweltering days like these. Oddly enough, my favorite popsicles were not the ones from the ice cream truck or even the store. They were actually orange juice popsicles, which were just plain old orange juice from concentrate frozen in an ice cube tray. This led me to think of a more “grown up” popsicle involving, of course, tea! Tea Popsicles are ridiculously easy to make and oh so delicious on a hot summer day.
There are two important things to remember when making these
To make delicious Tea Popsicles you need to do two things. The first is to double the amount of tea you would normally use because when the tea freezes it tends to lose a bit of flavor. When you double the tea it makes the tea strong enough to let the tasty flavors come through. The second thing you need to do is add a lot of sugar. I rarely add sugar to tea, but when it comes to these frozen treats, they need to be sweet. Once again, the freezing process dulls the flavor a bit so the additional sugar is really important.
What you need
- 8 teaspoons (12 grams) of Coconut Pouchong (or your favorite tea)
- 2 cups boiling water (It is ok to use boiling water with White Tea for these)
- ½ cup sugar
- Popsicle mold
- Popsicle sticks
How to make them
- Boil water. Place the tea in a teapot.
- Add the boiling water to the teapot.
- Steep the tea for about 5 minutes. Because the tea ends up frozen you really can’t oversteep the tea
- Add sugar to the hot tea and mix
- Pour the tea into the molds
- Add the popsicle sticks (once the popsicles are about half frozen so they set in the middle)
- Freeze until they are popsicles!
What to do if you don’t have popsicle sticks and molds
If you don’t have any popsicle sticks or molds then don’t sweat it! All you need is an ice cube tray and some toothpicks. If you don’t have an ice cube tray, mini Dixie cups also work wonderfully, although the popsicle might stick a little bit when frozen.
Cold popsicles on a hot day - I feel much cooler already! These treats are simple, delicious and really healthy when compared to other frozen desserts. I think it is time for me to stop writing and get a batch of these treats in the freezer. It is way too hot outside not to!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.